Laurie K. Choi-Brochu, Esq.
Juris Doctorate, University of Southern California, Gould School of Law
Bachelors in Civil and Environmental Engineering, University of California Berkeley
Consider Modifications to AIA form in agreements with General Contractors. Colorado Real Estate Journal. December 2015.
We Are Signing Up Contractors, and Haven't Developed our OCIP or CCIP Yet. Now What?. ABA Forum on Construction Law. November 2015.
With a background in construction management and civil & environmental engineering, Laurie Choi-Brochu provides clients with a unique technical eye towards legal issues. She counsels clients through construction contract disputes, drafting and negotiating construction contracts, mechanics and design professional liens, government construction contracting procedures, and other construction concerns.
Laurie holds a bachelor of science in Civil and Environmental Engineering from the University of California, Berkeley. As an undergraduate, she worked at wastewater treatment plants in the San Francisco Bay Area. After graduating, she moved to Las Vegas where she spent five years in commercial construction estimating and project management.
Laurie’s construction projects ranged from public school facilities, to high-rise condominiums and high end restaurants on the Las Vegas strip. In 2009, Laurie obtained her Nevada B-2 general contracting license.
In 2013, Laurie obtained her law degree from the University of Southern California, Gould School of Law. She is admitted to practice law in Colorado.
- Drafted and negotiated agreements on behalf of a Fortune 500 resort and entertainment owner for the design and construction of a $1.3 billion resort and an $800 million resort. Agreements included Architect, Design Consultant, Engineering, General Contractor, Trade Contractor, various consulting, Construction Manager at risk, FF&E, Extension of Staff, Master Services, DAS, and Commissioning Agreements. Also assisted in revising the project's safety manual and internal procedures manuals. Worked with the company's risk management department to analyze construction and contracting-related risks.
- Represented a government contractor in an arbitration with a subcontractor in defense of extra work and schedule impact claims. Achieved a judgment more favorable than the alternative negotiated result.
- Assisted at trial in representation of ski resort in case for over $1 million in damages involving slope stability. Complete defense verdict.
- Successfully petitioned for orders of condemnation for a national pipeline company.
- Represented Top-10 ENR Engineering Firm in multiple tort actions related to a highway projects in the Rocky Mountains.
- Assisted Top-10 ENR General Contractor with overhauling its standard construction agreements, including design-build agreements, joint venture agreements, P3 agreements, purchase orders, design services agreement, subcontract agreement, and teaming agreement.
- Successfully bonded around, and assisted with negotiating the release of, dozens of subcontractor and supplier mechanic's liens for several high-profile Owner and General Contractor clients.