David Frommell, Esq.
Juris Doctorate, University of Denver Sturm College of Law
Masters of Environmental Engineering, University of Illinois
Bachelors of Civil Engineering, University of Illinois
Sherman & Howard Construction Law Update. 2012-2019.
Combining a decade of engineering experience with a decade of legal work, David Frommell possesses intimate knowledge of both the technical and legal aspects of construction. With experience in all aspects of construction law, including trials, arbitration, mediation, claim preparation, and contract negotiation related to all phases of the development and construction process. He has represented general contractors, developers and owners on a wide variety of projects including reservoirs, oil and gas processing facilities, resort development, multi-family residential, and high-end single-family residential disputes.
After earning his Bachelor of Science in Civil Engineering from the University of Illinois, David spent two years volunteering with the United States Peace Corps in Kenya. His time overseas taught him the importance of representing others and seeking practical solutions to difficult and complex problems. David continued his engineering education after returning to the U.S., again attending the University of Illinois to complete a Master of Science in Environmental Engineering. After completing his engineering degrees, he then worked for a major global engineering company designing water treatment plants and pipelines.
In 2010 David earned his Juris Doctorate from the University of Denver Sturm College of Law. After working for a year as associate general counsel for a major global engineering and construction company, he spent eight years at a large Denver law firm where he was elected as a partner and co-chaired the Construction Industry Practice Group. David joined BBG in 2019, to continue sharpening his focus on construction law.
- Successfully defended a major municipal utility against an $18 million claim in a four-week arbitration and prevailed on counter claims of over $1 million.
- Obtained plaintiff’s verdict in breach of contract and breach of guaranty claims on behalf of a general contractor against high-end restaurant developer in Snowmass Village, Colorado.
- Defended owner-developer of commercial property portfolio on Boulder’s Pearl Street Mall against a variety of contract claims asserted by the portfolio’s architect; obtained favorable settlement.
- Represented airline fueling consortium in multi-million dollar design defect and delay dispute related to a design-build project in Santa Ana, California; obtained favorable settlement.
- Represented steel fireproofing subcontractor against prime contractor in a bid dispute; succeeded in obtaining summary judgment of all claims.
- Represented surgical center in $500,000 dispute with physician members; obtained defense verdict.
- Defended mid-stream natural gas processor in contract dispute with engineer-procure-construct engineering firm and asserted construction defect counterclaims; obtained favorable settlement.
- Represented general contractor in multi-million-dollar lien claim against developer of Snowmass Village, Colorado; obtained favorable settlement.
- Represented general contractor in insurance dispute related to construction defects in high-end condominium development in Breckenridge, Colorado; obtained favorable settlement.
- Defended CPVC pipe manufacturer in high-end residential construction defect dispute related to fire protection systems; obtained favorable settlement.
- Successfully asserted insurance bad faith claims on behalf of high-end home owner in dispute related to fire damage; obtained favorable settlement.
- Successfully represented homeowners in construction defect claims against a major builder, securing favorable settlement and repair agreements.
- Successfully represented multiple residential property owners in easement and boundary line disputes.
- Successfully represented mixed use developer in breach of purchase and sale agreement related to a $6 million residential condominium in Aspen, Colorado; obtained favorable settlement.
- Represented small business owner in Aspen, Colorado in insurance dispute related to water intrusion; obtained favorable settlement.
- Represented concrete specialty prime contractor as secured creditor in bankruptcy case against copper mining company; obtained favorable initial settlement and improved creditor priority for final asset sale.