Henry C. Bangert, Esq.
Founding Partner(720) 576-7225
Juris Doctorate, University of Colorado
Bachelors of Arts, Bowdoin College
Henry has spoken to numerous groups of project personnel, industry groups, and construction industry executives on various topics including risk management, ethics and compliance, contract changes and claims, subcontractor default, differing site conditions, consequential damages, cost of work, mechanics’ liens, government contracting, and litigation.
Henry Bangert grew up in the construction business. His family has been in heavy civil construction for four generations in the Midwest and Mountain West. Henry’s first jobs growing up were on airport and bridge projects in and around St. Louis and Denver. To this day, Henry’s close family are working in various sectors of the industry. Construction is literally in Henry’s blood. Consequently, Henry’s work for construction and engineering clients is personal and it is his passion. He knows what is on the line for his clients when significant legal issues arise. Having lived through the ups and downs of the industry, he understands what critical negotiations, disputes and litigation mean from the perspective of the business owner, management, operations, as well as the litigator. From Henry’s point of view, his success is one and the same with his client’s success.
Following law school at the University of Colorado, Henry joined the construction practice group at Sherman & Howard L.L.C. in Denver. It is with Sherman & Howard that Henry received his legal training from Mike Cook, Bret Gunnell, Charlotte Wiessner, and many other well-respected construction attorneys.
For six years, up until opening day of Beltzer Banger & Gunnell LLP, Henry worked as Legal Counsel – U.S. Operations for PCL Construction Enterprises, Inc. In his role for PCL, Henry and the PCL legal team supported PCL’s operations from coast-to-coast and was responsible for the effective and efficient delivery of legal services to PCL’s heavy civil, commercial buildings and industrial operations. Henry was responsible for the resolution of major claims and litigation, high risk and significant contract negotiations, corporate legal issues, ethics, governmental and regulatory compliance, and day-to-day legal support for PCL’s operations. As Legal Counsel for PCL, Henry worked with the most talented construction attorneys and consultants across the US, on both sides of the table.
Today, Henry counsels clients in contract planning, negotiation, administration, and dispute resolution nationally in the construction and engineering industry. His broad range of legal experience includes roads, bridges, high-rise buildings, process piping, water and wastewater treatment facilities, power, energy and chemical projects, healthcare and biomedical centers, airports, sports stadiums, entertainment and hospitality, mass transit, and other heavy construction projects, as well as all types of general building design and construction.
Henry frequently advises clients in contract and legal risk management through the project life-cycle. He has represented clients in the drafting and negotiation of numerous complex construction contracts priced between $1,000,000 and $1.7 Billion. Henry also has significant experience in government contracting issues spanning bid protests, certified claim preparation, dispute resolution, compliance, and investigations. He has represented clients nationwide in dispute review boards, mediations, arbitrations, trials, and state and federal court. Henry has extensive experience with nearly all forms of project delivery, including CM Agency, CM at Risk, traditional design-bid-build, design-build, EPC, integrated project delivery and P3 delivery.
Henry has a BA from Bowdoin College and a JD from the University of Colorado. He is licensed to practice law in Colorado.
- Lead counsel representing contractor in drafting and negotiating contracts and related documents for the construction of a $1.7 Billion retail and entertainment facility.
- Lead counsel representing a contractor member of design-build team in pursuing $1.2 Billion rail project.
- Lead counsel representing contractor in negotiating integrated project delivery projects (tri-party and poly-party) for $300 Million+ in themed retail facilities and attractions.
- Lead counsel representing institutional healthcare owner in drafting and negotiating integrated project delivery contract for $600 Million healthcare facility.
- Lead counsel representing contractor in contract review and pursuit of $250 Million design-build bridge project.
- Lead counsel representing contractors, construction managers and design-builders in negotiating contract documents for dozens of commercial projects ranging in size from $50 Million to $250 Million.
- Lead trial counsel representing contractor in mechanics’ lien foreclosure action and project receivership proceeding involving over $10 Million in mechanics’ liens and related claims.
- Lead trial counsel representing contractor through trial and appeal in connection subcontractor default on performing arts complex.
- Lead counsel representing design-builder in negotiating national design agreements with 8 of the largest design firms in North America for projects ranging in size from $10 Million to $400 Million.
- Lead counsel representing contractors, construction managers and design-builders in drafting and negotiating over $200 Million in claims to successful conclusion with public and private owners.
- Lead counsel representing contractor against payment and performance bond surety in $2 Million+ action related to subcontractor default.
- Lead counsel representing contractor in investigation and subsequent claims related to discharge of asbestos containing materials.
- Lead counsel representing contractor in investigation allegation of DBE fraud.