Suzanne began her legal career in 2004 as an attorney in the Real Estate, Development, Land Use and Finance group at the Denver based law firm of Holme Roberts & Owen, LLP (now Bryan Cave Leighton Paisner LLP). In this capacity, she has successfully taken numerous large real estate transactions to the closing table, both on behalf of buyers and banks. She has worked with municipalities and counties in numerous jurisdictions in the permitting process and has assisted clients with both the acquisition and development of their property. Suzanne also provided real estate and development support to large natural resource and corporate transactions with real property issues and assets.
In 2008, Suzanne transitioned to a real estate and development consulting firm as a Senior Project Manager assisting clients with all aspects of real estate development. In this capacity, Suzanne leveraged her legal experience to assist clients with risk mitigation on the business side of real estate development. Suzanne’s focus included complex due diligence, entitlements and permitting issues for lenders, developers, business owners and governmental entities. Her responsibilities as a Senior Project Manager included acquisition due diligence support, acting as an owner’s representative on client construction projects as well as supporting both private and public clients with complex real estate and development issues. Suzanne continues to manage due diligence and entitlement projects both for developers and non-real estate clients in both the private and public sector.
Suzanne also spent over 3 years as corporate counsel for an international heavy civil contractor where she was responsible for the contractor’s subcontracting process and all real estate issues, as well as assisting the general counsel with management of outside counsel on both litigation and contracting matters. Her experience includes negotiation of multi-million-dollar subcontracts and supplier agreements, training the contractor’s engineering and business staff on contracts and risk mitigation, negotiating both short and long term leases on behalf of the contractor and training the project teams on owner contracts. Suzanne has been involved and provided legal support on both bid-build and design-build construction projects from bid to closeout.
Suzanne currently leads BBG’s real estate and development practice where she represents general contractor clients with their real estate needs and provides full transaction support to development clients during all phases of the development lifecycle including property acquisition and disposition, due diligence, financing (both public and private), leasing and construction support.
Because Suzanne has worked on both the business and legal side of the development and construction industries, she brings experience and understanding to both the legal and business needs of her clients.
- Conducted mineral rights due diligence and created mineral ownership survey for Colorado Division of Wildlife on 40,000+ acres of property owned by the DOW.
- Obtained favorable up-zoning on behalf of Denver developer for 150+ acres located in northeast Denver.
- Advised lenders on disposition strategies for distressed lender assets including highest and best use, environmental and development analysis on multi-family development sites, single family residential and commercial sites.
- Acted as owner representative to obtain zoning and development approvals (including rezoning, special use and conditional use permitting) in numerous jurisdictions including the City and County of Denver, Boulder County and Weld County.
- Assisted client with development of 500+ acre private development in Gilpin County, CO by obtaining financing, development rights and conservation easements for property.
- Managed IBC Code Compliance inspection and analysis for 100+ buildings on industrial property.
- Represented Lenders in the redevelopment of mixed-use project in Parker, CO; construction and development of large condominium development in Cherry Creek; and financing of large-scale resort redevelopment in Vail, CO, among others.
- Drafted and negotiated lease terms for commercial tenants and landlords.
- Managed all legal aspects of purchase and sale of various commercial properties including retail centers, office buildings and mixed-use developments.
- Responsible for real estate and land use due diligence for several large renewable energy facilities including zoning and entitlements in Colorado, California, New Mexico and Massachusetts.
- Managed the liquor licensure and permitting for a large hospitality developer client for its hotels, restaurants and mixed-use developments in Colorado, California, Ohio, Massachusetts and Texas.
- Negotiated a favorable purchase order template with a national aggregate supplier worth over $50 million per year.
- Trained contractor project teams on owner contracts for a wide variety of public and private infrastructure projects including bridges, wastewater facilities, freeway interchanges in Colorado, California, North Carolina, South Carolina and Texas.
- Managed subcontract negotiation process for billion-dollar civil contractor with projects across United States.
- Acted as project attorney for numerous projects including: $220 Million rail project in San Diego, $45 Million Water treatment plant in Sacramento, CA, $215 Million CDOT Design-Build freeway project, and two $50+ Million four-lane freeway project in Greensboro, NC.
- Drafted and negotiated agreements including PSAs, owner contracts, subcontracts, easements, leases, development agreements, power purchase agreements and loan agreements.